Friday, April 9, 2021

Building the Sail

 A long hiatus - years actually, but I'm back at work.


I've been building the split rig sail over the last two months - about 25-30 hours a week.


 I made templates for both the mains (simple rounding off a parallelogram base) and the jibs (45 degree shelf foot) for the bottom four panels.  This picture shows the jib patterns. 

Here's just lots of fabric at some point in the process.   I used Top Gun 9 cloth.  Junk rigs, and especially cambered junk rigs, don't put much strain on the fabric, so you can get away with awning-type materials.  But you need to put a lot a strength in the bolt ropes that run around the perimeter.  I used seat belt webbing. 

Here are the jibs and mains laid next to each other.  It all seemed to fit correctly.  

This is panel 4 attached to the battens.  The camber looks just like I'd hoped. 

Same thing, other side. 

This is the top two panels.  They are full length, with lower camber. They're best considered storm panels.  I've got new energy to get the boat done, because I really want to see these things hanging from the mast.



No comments:

Post a Comment