Friday, April 9, 2021

Glassing in the floors

 

Turning back to the interior, the weather was finally warm enough to start epoxy work again.  I glassed in the fiberglass I-beam floors I cut a few months ago.  There's no way they are going to cause any rot issues down there in the bilge.  Not that my boat will have any leaks, of course.  But just in case.

 I scratched my head quite a bit on how strong the floor/hull attachment needed to be.  I'm not actually sure that floor is the correct term for these - they don't provide any structural support for the hull or keel, they are just there for the cabin sole to rest on.  So - strong, but not really strong.  One layer of 1608 tape on each side is what I went with, except on the third floor from the bottom of the image.  There wasn't room on its forward side what with the real floor from the original Pearson construction in the way.  So I went with two layers on the aft side. 


 


.
I was actually pretty shocked at how much of a transformation putting a coat of grey primer did for the boat.  After years of seeing that mottled and greenish bilge, the sudden cleanness of the unbroken expanse of flat grey was delightful.  It'll nearly be a shame to cover it all up with the sole.   But I'll get over it. 

And speaking of years - it had been several since I really cleaned up the deck or cockpit.  The layers of grime were disheartening.  

So I spent an hour or two just scrubbing the cockpit with that brush thingy on the vacuum attachment.  Another delightful improvement. I can move around in there without getting all skeeved out.   





No comments:

Post a Comment