Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Cockpit drain and Cabin Soles, continued

 

 I ground /sanded/ shaped the opening and exit of the cockpit drain, rounding over the edges with about a 1/4" to 1/2" radius and sanding off the gel coat about 2 inches around.  I cut some strips of 6 oz glass cloth on 45 degree bias and covered the edges with about two layers.  The bias cut strips conformed very easily to the compound curves.  I'm happy with the outcome.

 The outside looks pretty good, too.  Eventually this will get covered with a flapper gate to reduce water running up into the boat the wrong way in a following sea or chop.




The galley bilge got a second coat of primer.  I had waited beyond the 72 hours specified, so it needed a light sanding first.  I'm not sure I did the best job of that because I really hate sanding all those odd spaces.  But hey, it's just the bilge. 




 The sole hatch support frames got two coats of epoxy.

And rest of the day was spend laying out, cutting out, and framing out the galley bilge hatches.  I put in two - one was able to stay on the center line and match up with the other four in the salon: 18 inches long and 8 inches wide.  
Well, almost 8 inches wide.  Because of the toe kick and odd angles around the galley counter the forward section of the galley sole was made in two pieces.  The joint of the those piece was almost perfect for the hatch side, but it wanders a little away from exactly fore and aft.  Like, 1/4 inch.  So the forward side of the hatch is slightly wider than the aft. I don't think it will be noticeable.  


No comments:

Post a Comment